A guide to choose the best floor mats for your car
Most people believe that it is quite easy to choose floor mats for their car. But anyone who attentively takes care of their car will tell you that it is imperative that you have a good floor mat. A floor mat can mean the difference between a well-maintained car, and a car that looks like uncared for and untidy.
It can be especially difficult to find car mats of good quality that also fit your car’s look and personality. However, this does not mean that you should overlook the details of your car’s floor mats.
There are different kinds of floor mats, and each type has its own set of benefits and drawbacks. So, if you’re on the lookout for the best floor mats, then this article will guide you through the different varieties of floor mats and help you find the best one for your car.
What are the different types of floor mats available?
- Knowing your options is the first step in making sure that you pick a floor mat that matches your needs.
- Vinyl, polyester, plastic, rubber, carpet and yes, even metal floor mats are available in the market today. A buyer should look at the features of all these varieties before picking one.
What are the features of vinyl floor mats and rubber floor mats?
Many people mistakenly think that vinyl floor mats are the same as rubber ones. However, an interesting thing to know is that in the world of custom floor mats, both these materials reign supreme.
- Vinyl shares some of its properties with rubber, i.e., it sticks well and is very durable. The catch is in the affordability and flexibility of these materials.
- Custom rubber floor mats can cost a fortune, especially if you’re looking for a thicker and more ribbed design. Meanwhile, vinyl offers similar features to you at a much more customer-friendly price.
- Vinyl is also easier to maintain and clean. One can remove almost any stain with soap and water. The only possible downside is that vinyl suffers wear and tear quite easily. So, you might have to replace it frequently over the years.
What do you need to know about polyester or plastic floor mats?
- If you’re looking for an eco-friendly option, then plastic floor mats might be a good choice. Recycled bottles are used to make these floor mats, and you can customize them according to your needs.
- They are also the perfect material for floor mats as they keep moisture and mildew away. You also get to choose from a wide variety of colors and textures.
- They’re hypoallergenic, making them suitable for travelers who have a case of severe allergies.
- However, durability is an issue with this material. Plastic floor mats tend to show wear and tear easily. They also retain oil-based stains.
What are metal floor mats and are they a good choice for your car?
This type of floor mat is perhaps the most unique and controversial. After all, who would even use a metal floor mat? Well, lots of people.
- Metal floor mats give a unique look to your car. They’re polished and shiny and come in a variety of designs.
- A word of advice, these floor mats are best suited for work trucks or vehicles with a billet decorated interiors. However, these floor mats are not readily available and are often provided by car manufacturers themselves. So, replacing them might be a hassle.
What factors should one consider while buying floor mats?
With any floor mat, you need to keep two factors in mind – size and fit, and maintenance. Here are some tips that will help you choose the best floor mats, keeping these points in mind.
- Always carry the exact measurements of your car floor to ensure that the mats you buy fit perfectly.
- If you’re unsure about the size of your floor mats, you can pick the ones labeled universal size as these fit most cars.
- If you’re choosing a material that is easy to cut, then even a slightly bigger size might not be a problem.
- Never opt for a smaller floor mat size as they will not protect your car’s floor, defeating the purpose of these mats.
- As for maintenance, a floor mat requires regular upkeep as well.
- It’s best to opt for materials that are easy to clean. You should stay away from materials that get damaged easily.
- Ideally, odor resistance should be a significant factor. Steer away from materials that retain moisture and stink up in the heat. This way, you will not need to clean the floor mats frequently.